Mexico/Yucatan/Quintana Roo/Puerto Morelos

Puerto Morelos Travel Guide


Search Puerto Morelos for...

Frequently Asked Questions about Puerto Morelos

Where can I buy groceries? 

There is one small grocery store in Puerto Morelos, Casa Martin. It has all the basics. Water, sodas, beer, canned goods, bread and meat. There are 2 OXXO convenience stores in town as well as several small mercados that sell snacks, beer and sodas.

We also have a new full-sized grocery store in the colonia (area of town on Highway 307), Chedraui. It's located on the west side of Highway 307 just before the overpass. They have groceries and some hard goods. Take the Puerto Morelos exit from Cancun and you will see it just before your turn toward Puerto Morelos at the overpass.

Another grocery store, Super Aki, has recently opened on Highway 307 just after the exit to Puerto Morelos. Groceries only, from what I understand.

Sam's Club has 2 stores in Cancun and 1 in Playa del Carmen. Costco has a store in Cancun. Several national grocery chains are also located in Cancun. Here are directions to Sam's Club and Costco in Cancun.

What kind of beer is available in Mexico? 

Here is a rundown of the beers of Mexico...

We're staying in a private home in Puerto Morelos. Is there someone who can cook for us at the house?

Fernando,, will pick up groceries and come the home to prepare a meal for you. Cat, at The Little Mexican Cooking School, will cater for you or cook onsite. Veronica ( and her mother will cook for you in your home. Juan Loya, ​jjloya0464@hotmail.comMexico Cell Phone 998-129-1762, comes highly recommended by one reader.

Do I need to have a passport to visit Puerto Morelos?

Yes, A passport is required to travel to Mexico. Apply for your passport here.

Do I  need a special form to bring minors (other than my kids) into Mexico?

Yes, you need to fill out and have a form notarized. Here is the form.

Can I bring my pet into Mexico?

Yes, you can. You'll need to make sure your pet has documentation of recent rabbies shots, and be sure to have a Certificate of Good Health from your Vet to make sure you don't have any problems getting back into the US with your pet. See Bringing Your Pet Into Mexico for more details. 

Can foreigners purchase land/real estate in Mexico?

Yes, with some limitations. In the "restricted zone" along the coast or borders, you can purchase land or property through a trust called a Fideicomiso, which is held by a bank in Mexico for up to 50 years and can be renewed and passed on to heirs. Property in the interior may be purchased "fee simple", meaning you get the title direct. When dealing with real estate, always cross-check everything to make sure the property and owners are legitimate, and there is clear title. Seeing a real estate agent, lawyer, escrow service, notary, bank officials, etc. are all part of the process. Do your research.

What is the drinking age in Mexico?

Eighteen (18) for all citizens and visitors to Mexico. You must have valid ID in the form of a passport or driver's license. Mexico has strict laws about drinking in public and public intoxication, so don't use the lower drinking age as an excuse to forget your common sense.

Is there a bank in Puerto Morelos?

No, there is not a bank. There are a number of ATM machines and a money changing booth. All are located near the town square. We recommend the enclosed ATM just to the right of the entrance to the Casa Martin grocery store. It is operated by HSBC bank and offers the best exchange rates in the area.

Cover the keypad with your free hand when entering your PIN number. We have had our debit card used without our permission in Mexico. The thieves are able to electronically steal your card number and observe you entering your PIN number via a small wireless camera. This is most common at isolated ATM machines. Given the choice, use an ATM in a manned location. There is a 7-11 in the village by 307 that offers an ATM inside the store. The new Chedraui grocery store (in the Colonia, off 307) also has ATM machines as well as a bank, CI Banco which is open weekdays until 5pm. 

Do I need to pay for things with the Mexican peso?

Most stores and restaurants in Puerto Morelos will accept US dollars. In most instances you will save money by paying in Mexican pesos. Gas stations require pesos. We recommend that you use the ATM machines in town to get some pesos...just makes life a little easier.

Which credit cards are widely accepted?

MasterCard and Visa are accepted at most of the larger stores in Cancun. Credit Card policy seems to change on a regular basis even at the larger stores. Sam's Club accepts MasterCard, Visa and American Express. Costco accepts several types of credit cards (unlike in the US.) Walmart (Superama) accepts MasterCard and Visa. A few stores and restaurants in Puerto Morelos accept credit cards, ask first. Be sure to call your credit card company before your trip and let them know when you will be in Mexico and for how long.

Do I need to speak Spanish?

No, you do not. While Spanish is the native language here, many of the locals speak English very well. You can usually get to where you want or buy what you want speaking English. If not, just ask for help, the people of the Yucatan are very friendly!

What time zone is Puerto Morelos on?

Puerto Morelos and Cancun are on the Eastern Time Zone. Daylight savings time is not observed. The same is true for the entire state of Quintana Roo.

What is the current exchange rate?

Click Here to see how many pesos your dollar will buy.

Do I need electrical adapters?

Electrical plugs here are 110 volt, just like the USA or Canada. Many electrical outlets have only 2 prongs with no ground, so it's wise to bring a 2 prong adapter if you need to plug in grounded plugs. Here is one on